Governance and Leadership
The National Coalition for Literacy is a 501(c)3 charitable organization based in the District of Columbia. Its members are organizations that are active in adult education (including literacy and numeracy), family literacy, and related fields. There are two classes of membership:
- Voting member: Voting members are nonprofit organizations whose work is national in scope and has a major focus on adult education and/or family literacy.
- Associate member: Associate members are of two types: organizations whose work is regional or local in scope and focuses on adult education and/or family literacy, and organizations of any size whose work connects with adult education and family literacy activities and concerns.
NCL members meet twice each year, in the spring and the fall. When possible, the meetings take place in Washington, DC; currently meetings take place virtually.
Current NCL Bylaws
The NCL Board of Directors
NCL is directed by a volunteer Board of Directors that sets direction and strategy for the organization. Board members are representatives of NCL member organizations and professionals active in adult education and related fields.
Members are elected to the Board by the voting membership at the fall NCL members’ meeting. Board members serve three-year terms; no Board member may serve more than two terms sequentially. Board terms begin on October 1 of the year elected.
Current Board Members
Term ending September 2023
- Todd Evans, ProLiteracy (first term)
- Christy Rhodes, AAACE (first term)
- Regina Suitt, COABE (first term)
- Gwenn Weaver, independent (first term)
Term ending September 2024
- Cynthia Bell, Adult Numeracy Network and Literacy Assistance Center (first term)
- Kevin Maher, American Library Association (first term)
- Judy Mortrude, World Education (second term)
- Eric Nesheim, Literacy Minnesota (first term)
Term ending September 2025
- Rachel De Vaughan, Mississippi Community College Board (second term)
- Cathy Giuffre-Renaud, Maine Adult Education Association (first term)
- KayLynn Hamilton, Goodling Institute for Research in Family Literacy and the Institute for the Study of Adult Literacy, Penn State (first term)
- Blaire Willson Toso, WestEd (first term)
- Deborah Kennedy, executive director
Board Leadership, 2021-2022
- President: Judy Mortrude, World Education
- Vice President: Rachel DeVaughan, Mississippi Community College Board
- Treasurer: Todd Evans, ProLiteracy
- Secretary: Kevin Maher, American Library Association
Policy Committee Co-Chairs
- Michele Diecuch
- Judy Mortrude, World Education