Mission and Vision
NCL’s mission is to advance adult education, family literacy, and English language acquisition in the United States by increasing public awareness of the need to increase programs and funding; by promoting effective public policy; and by serving as an authoritative resource on national adult education issues.
We envision a nation in which all adults are able to fulfill their potential and meet their goals through access to high quality adult education and literacy services provided by an integrated and well-developed system.
NCL influences legislation and public policy by
- Working directly with staff on Congressional committees and in individual Senators’ and Representatives’ offices
- Hosting Congressional briefings in partnership with the House Adult Literacy Caucus
- Communicating regularly with government agencies such as the U. S. Department of Education Office of Career, Technical and Adult Education (OCTAE)
- Providing timely policy updates and alerts that inform and engage the adult education community nationwide in the federal policy making and legislative process
NCL promotes partnerships and raises awareness of adult literacy by
- Conducting the annual National Adult Education & Family Literacy Week advocacy campaign to galvanize support for adult education and family literacy
- Leading workshops and panel presentations at national and regional conferences
- Collaborating with other education-focused groups, including the Committee for Education Funding
- Participating in partnerships focused on issues that affect adult learners, such as the Census Task Force convened by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Using social media such as Facebook and Twitter to inform advocates and promote public policies that support adult education and literacy